For a few years Kai has been afraid of balloons. We are not sure why, but it is a very strange phobia. My mom and sisters think it is because of my own hatred of all things that have to do with balloons. Mine isn't a phobia but I think that latex is so gross. I remember when I was little hating when the air in the balloon would leak out and make the balloon pucker. It totally grossed me out, yuck!! Just thinking about it gives me the cold chills. When Scott and I were dating I made him swear that he would never buy me balloons ever. I use to also say that I would never let my children have balloons. Well, that didn't really happen like I planned. I did well to not let Mica have balloons, but I gave up. I don't remember when that happened or why. However, since Kai is deathly afraid of balloons the rule has come back, "no balloons in the house." The first time we noticed that Kai didn't like balloons was when we went out to dinner and there was a clown making balloon characters. He used those long skinny balloons and then twisted them to look like an animal. Kai noticed the clown from across the restaurant, and watched his every move. When he got closer Kai would scream bloody murder. I think Kai was maybe 9 months old. We thought that eventually he would get over the fear, no such luck. He is hyper aware of balloons. Kai can spot them from anywhere. If we are walking, he will purposely go out of his way to go around where the balloons are. He tries to convince himself that he likes them.
Every few months he says, "mom, I like balloons."
My reply, "really Kai, I thought you didn't. It is okay if you don't like them. I don't like them."
Kai answers, "ya, I don't like them either."
When he goes to a friends house I have to ask and make sure there aren't any balloons. The best is when the nursery leader at church brought balloons for class, and he starts freaking out. They had to bring him to me because he was crying so hard. They couldn't understand why any child wouldn't love balloons. I know it's weird. Spencer thinks this freak out stuff is great, he needles Kai to no end. He has not mercy in his taunting. I guess that is why whenever a balloon comes home it immediately gets cut and thrown in the out side garbage.
1 comment:
I thought maybe it was a clown thing since there is a real fear of clowns out there, but I guess not. How about mylar baloons? I don't like rubber bands.
Post a Comment