Saturday, January 31, 2009

Yes I can

When I was in high school I could not even pick up the bar in the weight lifting room. There were probably several reasons why I didn't but the biggest one was because I couldn't lift the bar. The bar weighs 45 lbs. Today I maxed out at 85 lbs, and I almost did 95 lbs. In November I maxed out at 65 lbs. I have made a lot of progress in not very much time. I have no desire to become this muscle women, but it is nice to not have "Relief Society" arms.

I started working out at the end of October for 3 days a week for about an hour. Over Thanksgiving when I was away I did pretty good to keep going. I didn't work out very often over Christmas. So far January is going well. Scott has always gone to the gym, and has encouraged me to go with him. I did go off and on, but mostly off. I think there are several reasons why I have kept going.

The first being that I want to keep up with my boys. I still can, but it won't be long until they can beat me. I don't want to be left in the dust.
The second I feel better. Sure I am sore most days, but it feels good. The first week I started I had to keep telling myself that it could only get easier, and it has. At least it doesn't hurt to buckle the safety belt in the car.
The third I sleep better at night. I still stay up until midnight, but I sleep hard until the boys wake up.
The fourth I have someone to work out with. Tiff (my work out partner) has longer legs and arms, but we are pretty comparable. We also have many of the same goals for working out, like being fit so we don't have to buy bigger clothes. New clothes yes, just not bigger.

So thanks Scott for the encouragement to keep going, and to Tiff and Greg for letting us work out at your gym.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Tori! That's awesome that you're lifting weights! I lift weights with DJ a couple of times a week and I run almost everyday. I love it! Keep it up!! Did you hear I'm moving to Seattle? Love ya!!!!

Greg Nielsen said...

Tori. You work as hard as anyone I know in the gym. You should be proud of yourself. In a couple weeks, give 95 lbs another shot. I bet you'll hit it.

Karen said...

Girl, you are my hero!!

Mike A said...

Good thing I have extra padding to protect me from hits from you and Scott. It makes me feel safer around you two.

Andrea Hardman said...

That's great! I lift that bar sometimes and I always feel silly when there is someone next to me with 100lbs on each end of their bar. I know not to compare but, I'm just sayin....