Friday, May 9, 2008
A backpack, flowers, and Mica
The title alone says it all. I am often telling Mica, "if you put it in your backpack you won't lose it or forget to bring things home." Well that is what he did with the flowers that he has been growing at school. He didn't want to forget to bring them home to me for my mothers day present. He is so sweet!! When he got home he said, "mom, I have a great surprise for you." He then looks in his backpack and lets out a semi yell/cry, "mom, you're going to kill me." I didn't know what he was talking about. He was so apologetic for "ruining" my flowers. Of course I didn't kill him, or even get upset. I wonder some times if I am too hard on him, and if he thought my reaction to spilt dirt in the bottom of the backpack was something that I would get upset about. It worked out fine, I could still plant them and they will look great. This parenting thing is more difficult than I ever thought. How do you teach your child to be obedient but still be able to think for himself? It seems that you have to be able to teach the principle of consequences good or bad. To look at their decisions and be able to predict what the consequence will be must be a very hard skill to acquire. Heck, I am still not that great at it. I know that you have to give your child chances to make decisions and that will help them learn. Many of the principles of my religion are based on being obedient, but still be free to choose. However you must be prepared to accept the consequences of the choice. It is a very hard line to walk, and how to discern is still tricky for me and I feel that I am practically an adult.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hmm, if you figure out that question let me know... I have one child who is obedient but can't think, one that thinks for herself but won't listen to save her life! I know you'll bring the flowers back to life, I couldn't.
Those are some great thoughts. I wish I knew the answers!
Post a Comment